Sunday, February 2, 2020

Books on Church Flowers, Sacristy Care, and Catholic Manners

Gemma from Introibo- with Flowers said she found one of the church flower books I cited helpful, so I decided to put up a list with books that have influenced my posts on this blog.  This blog is not monetized and I am not providing any links.  Many of the books listed are mid-century (yes, 20th) and likely out of print.  I think an interested reader might find used copies though.

Church flower books:

Flower Arrangement for Churches; Adelaide B. Wilson; M. Barrows and Company, Inc., New York, 1952.

Flower Arrangement in the Church; Katherine Morrison McClinton; Morehouse-Gorham Co., New York, 1958.

Arranging Flowers for the Sanctuary; Francis Patteson-Knight and Margaret McReynolds St. Clare; Harper and Brothers, New York, 1961.

Sacristy care:

A Handbook for the Sacristan; Rev. William A. O'Brien, M.A.; 1932; republished by Missionary Sisters of the Holy Ghost - Catholic Research Institute, Veradale, Washington.

Good Housekeeping in the Church; Katharine Morrison McClinton and Isabel Wright Squier; Morehouse-Gorham Co., New York, 1951.

Laundering Liturgical Linens; Society of St. Pius X; Angelus Press, 2008.  NB:  This is a 9-page pamphlet, not a full-sized book.

Catholic Manners:

American Catholic Etiquette; Kay Toy Fenner; The Newman Press, Maryland, 1965.

Catholic Manual of Civility; translated/ edited by Marian Therese Horvat, Ph.D.; Tradition in Action, 2008.

Courtesy Calls Again; Judith Fife Mead and Marian Therese Horvat; Tradition in Action, 2009.

The Chapel Veil: Symbol of the Spouse of Christ; Elizabeth Black and Emily Griswold; Requiem Press, Bethune, South Carolina, 2005.  NB:  This is a 22-page booklet, not a full-sized book.

11 comments:

Gemma said...

Terrific! I have been looking at buying the Sacristan's Handbook! There are also two books at Biretta Books on candles and the altar that look interesting. These others on flower arranging are on my list now too after I finish reading all your posts on the subject!

Marie-Jacqueline said...

About A Handbook for the Sacristan, the address for the Catholic Research Institute as stated on the back of the booklet is: Post Office Box 589, Veradale, Washington 99037. (In small print, it says "An Apostolate of the Missionary Sisters of the Holy Ghost".)

Gemma said...

Wonderful, thank you Marie-Jacqueline!

Marie-Jacqueline said...

Gemma, As you can see from today's post, in view of your generosity, I found my old invitation for church flower volunteers to share their photos, updated and published it. In doing so, I was astonished to see how many posts I have done over the years, many of which are not on the link lists. That reminded me to alert you to something I learned the hard way: be very careful if you have to delete any comments -- at one point, I tried to delete just one comment and without realizing it, deleted many because when I checked the one to delete somehow a whole slew of them got checked for deletion at the same time and I missed it!

Gemma said...

This is good to know, thank you for helping me out and being my tech support! I have been in the garden these last few days and not very connected. I have some wonderful dark purple sweet peas from England that I must get in the ground. But of course planting means weeding and pruning!

Marie-Jacqueline said...

Gemma, Yes, there is much more to life than blogging! Your blog is off to a great start. Happy gardening!

Gemma said...

Marie-Jacqueline! I have been dealing with a series of family difficulties over the last weeks so zero blogging. However I am gearing up for a big ember weekend ordination for a traditional priest in our diocese! We are thrilled. He will be saying his first Solemn High Mass the second Sunday of Lent at our parish. Of course no flowers for the church but I will be doing flowers for the reception! Any thoughts or resources on ordination flowers? +JMJ+

Marie-Jacqueline said...

Hi Gemma, I don't know of any pertinent resources. My thought would be to go with gold and white because those are the colors associated with the Eucharist. For instance, see my post Church Flowers for Corpus Christi.

Marie-Jacqueline said...

You might also find some inspiration in one of my posts that isn't on the link list. It's about an altar of repose for Maundy Thursday - https://the-pious-spinster.blogspot.com/2019/04/altar-of-repose-for-maundy-thursday.html

Gemma said...

Fantastic, thank you! I will keep you updated...

Marie-Jacqueline said...

Please do. I'll look forward to your updates.