Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Path of the White Roses


Here are the instructions from The Rosarian’s Handbook for first three days of the Rosary Novena according to the Rose Paths:
“PART ONE: FIRST THREE DAYS

“[1] Opening Prayer [The same opening prayer is used for all nine days]

“Open my mouth, O Lord, to bless Thy Holy Name; cleanse my heart from all vain and unholy thoughts; inspire my mind and inflame my will; that I may worthily, attentively, and devoutly recite Mary’s Beads, as a Psalter of homage to Thee; and in my Rosary prayer, may I merit to be heard in the presence of Thy Majesty, through Christ our Lord. Amen.

“O Lord, in union with that divine intention, with which Thou didst praise and do the Will of God on earth, I offer this recitation of the Most Holy Rosary, for the wants of Our Holy Mother the Church, for all heretics, all sinners, all those severely tempted, for all the sick and all the dying, also for the wounded and dying of the war, and for the suffering souls in Purgatory.

“O Lord, grant me the grace of a good confession, which I shall make as soon as possible, to insure my union with Thee, and my Immaculate Mother Mary during this Rosary Novena.

“[2] On the first three days of the Novena the Joyful Mysteries are recited. The Joyful Mysteries follow the PATHS OF WHITE ROSES in Mary’s Rose Garden.

“FIRST MYSTERY: The Angel Gabriel appears to Mary. Ask for Mary’s humility

“SECOND MYSTERY: Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth. Ask for Mary’s charity.

“THIRD MYSTERY: Christ is born in Bethlehem’s stable. Ask to become poor in spirit.

“FOURTH MYSTERY: Christ is presented in the Temple. Ask for Mary’s purity.

“FIFTH MYSTERY: Christ is found in the Temple after three days. Ask for Mary’s love of Jesus.

“PRAYER AFTER THE BEADS:

“O Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, help me to translate into my life the virtues so beautifully exemplified by thee in the Joyful Mysteries. By the love of Purity, AT THE ANNUNCIATION whereby thou didst accept the divine maternity whilst preserving thy vow of virginity, preserve me from the contagion of sin. By thy charity AT THE VISITATION when John the Baptist was sanctified and joy was brought to the household of thy cousin, Elizabeth, help me to show charity to my neighbor. By the virtue of poverty that prevailed AT THE NATIVITY teach me to have a tender love for God’s poor. By the spirit of obedience to the law of God, AT THE PRESENTATION IN THE TEMPLE, assist me always to be a faithful child of our Holy Mother the Church. By thy joy IN FINDING THY DIVINE SON AMIDST THE DOCTORS IN THE TEMPLE, help me to ever seek true happiness in the Blessed Sacrament where Christ dwells amongst us.

“O Blessed Mother, with thy Rosary in my hand, I PLACE MY PETITION in thy care.

“[Here pause and mention your particular intention.]

“O Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, I am mindful of thy great goodness to ST. DOMINIC, THE FIRST PREACHER OF THE ROSARY, I HONOR THEE for the aid given to ST. PIUS when the Cross triumphed over the Turkish Crescent. LOVINGLY DO I RECALL the eighteen Rosary apparitions to ST. BERNADETTE AT LOURDES, where thou wert pleased to instruct this poor peasant girl in the power of thine own devotion. I ACKNOWLEDGE THEE, O Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, as the Mother of my Lord and my God. Thy Son is my First Beginning and Last End. I RENDER TO HIM the homage of my being and I SUBMIT MYSELF to His divine service, now and for the remaining days of my life. Amen.

“[3] Invocations [This is the same for all nine days]

“O Lord, we believe in Thee,
O Lord, we adore Thee,
O Lord, we hope in Thee,
O Lord, we love Thee,
Mother of Our Saviour, pray for us.
Mother most pure, pray for us.

“Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.
Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
Thou art my Lord and my God.
Hosanna, Hosanna to the Son of David.
Mother of Jesus, pray for us.
Refuge of sinners, pray for us.

“O Lord, we believe, but do Thou help our unbelief.
Thou art the Resurrection and the life.
Lord, save us, we perish.
Jesus, Son of Mary, have mercy on us.
Virgin, most powerful, pray for us.
Virgin, most merciful, pray for us.

“Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me whole.
Lord, say only the word and I shall be healed.
Jesus, who hast loved us so much, have mercy on us.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, have mercy on us.
Help of Christians, pray for us.
Health of the sick, pray for us.

“Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Father of the poor, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Comforter of the afflicted, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Our Refuge, have mercy on us.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.
Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, pray for us.
Blessed be thy Holy and Immaculate Conception.

“[4] The Prayer for the Apostolate of the Rosary [This is the same for all nine days]

“O Good Jesus, if sinners only knew Thee, they would never offend Thee! Then hearken to the prayer of my heart and soul, that I may become a generous and loving apostle of the Most Holy Rosary. Let my every breath pour forth the eloquence of the five Joyful Mysteries; and with a love far exceeding the tenderness of a mother’s love, let me through the five Sorrowful Mysteries assist and console the most abject of sinners, and with the help of Thy grace and the protection of Mary, the Mother of God, and my own Mother, let me merit the reward of sorrow turned into joy and eternally contemplate the five Glorious Mysteries. Amen.”

"[5] The Litany of Loreto

"[6] Prayer to St. Joseph"
Source:
Dolan, Dominic, O.P. (Ed.); The Rosarian’s Handbook of the Society of the Rosary Altar (Marchbanks Press, New York, 1942), pp. 58-67.

All material from The Rosarian's Handbook used with the kind permission of the Dominican Province of St. Joseph.

Image:
“Rosa alba”, from Wikimedia Commons. Some rights reserved.

No comments: