Saturday, March 28, 2020

Prayers for Spiritual Communion

Madonna of Humility by Fra Angelico





 

UPDATE - 4-3-2020:  Rorate Caeli now has an excellent post on this subject complete with a PDF file with the proper steps for making an act of contrition and spiritual Communion.

For those of us who cannot attend Mass, there is the possibility of Spiritual Communion.  Here are two of the possible prayers one might use:

"I wish, my Lord, to receive you with the purity, humility, and devotion with which your most holy Mother received you, with the spirit and fervor of the saints." (Josemaria Escriva)
"My Jesus, I believe that Thou art present in the Blessed Sacrament. I love Thee above all things and I desire Thee in my soul. Since I cannot now receive Thee sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though Thou wert already there, I embrace Thee and unite myself wholly to Thee; permit not that I should ever be separated from Thee. Amen." (St. Alphonsus Ligouri)
Sources I have read clarify that one should be in a state of grace to receive Spiritual Communion.  Therefore, if one cannot go to sacramental Confession and has committed serious sin, one should try to make a perfect act of contrition before Spiritual Communion.  One should also take the time to recollect in other ways as one does before sacramental Communion and make a thanksgiving afterward.
 

2 comments:

Gemma said...

Thank you for pointing out that one should be in a state of grace to do a Spiritual Communion! This is an important point that I have found is sadly overlooked on most websites with information on the subject!

Marie-Jacqueline said...

Yes, I think it is often overlooked. As you can see from the PDF on the Rorate Caeli site that I linked in the update to this post, the need to be in a state of grace is implicit in making an Act of Contrition before Spiritual Communion, but it seems like the need for a state of grace should be emphasized. I remember seeing posts or comments in various places where people thought they could "at least" make a Spiritual Communion if living together or in an irregular marriage, but it's more complicated than that since contrition includes a firm purpose of amendment. Thanks for your comment, Gemma.